Monday, October 3, 2011

OSP Alliance Interview With NCIS: Los Angeles Writer/Producer/Story Editor, Dave Kalstein

Hey everyone! This Tuesday's episode, "Backstopped", was written by NCIS: Los Angeles writer/producer/story editor, Dave Kalstein. In preparation for season three's episode three, here is an exclusive interview we did back in July with the man himself. Many thanks to Dave for taking the time to answer our questions! (Be sure to follow him on Twitter @davekalstein!) Hope you all enjoy! -S. & G.





OSP Alliance: How did you become a writer for NCIS: Los Angeles?
Dave Kalstein: Before Season 1 started, my agents sent Shane Brennan my writing samples. Then he interviewed me and we clicked. He hired me soon after.
OSP: On average, how long does it typically take to complete a script for an entire episode?
DK: We're supposed to get 14 days, but I've written a script in just over 48 hours ("Bounty" from Season 2, I think). Not a fun weekend.
OSP: How does it feel, seeing your script coming to life during filming, and ultimately having the opportunity of viewing the final production of it?
DK: Always interesting to see what works and what doesn't. Producing is hard. You have to pay attention to every detail, not just the words. Ultimately, production is a humbling experience. Makes you realize NO ONE on this show can do it alone. It's communal effort.
OSP: Looking back on the last two seasons, is there anything you would've written differently in any of your scripts?
DK: Can't say I'd do anything differently. Looking back at my episodes, I see that I became more comfortable taking chances as time progressed. For instance, I never would have proposed putting Kensi through "Disorder" at any time in Season 1. Likewise, I couldn't have written some of the scenes in "Plan B" before writing several episodes with Kensi and Deeks. I feel like I wouldn't really change anything in my scripts because each one reflects where I'm at with the characters at that time. 
OSP: Out of all the scripts you have written for NCIS: Los Angeles, which one are you most proud of and why?
DK: Probably "Plan B" (which I co-wrote with Joe Wilson). Shane really let us run with Deeks's character and set up some great mythology, and now I feel like no matter what happens with Deeks (and by extension, Kensi), it'll be partly due to the seeds we planted. I'm also really proud of "The Bank Job" from Season 1. It showed a new side of Kensi and broke the mold of the "typical" episode.
OSP: Out of all of the characters, which one is the most difficult, and which one is the most fun to write?
DK: For me, Callen is the most difficult to write. He's not only mysterious for the audience, he's a mystery to the writers, too! More than anyone else, I have to stop and say: "Would Callen say or do this?" when finishing a scene. He'll always be an enigma. The key is keeping him human and real, too. Shane has been cool about giving me leeway with Kensi and Deeks. But when it comes to Callen's and Sam's backstories, I just listen to the master speak. He knows exactly what he's doing. I have to honor that.

**Again, many, many thanks to Dave Kalstein for taking the time to answer our questions! We hope you all enjoyed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment